Download Application – Criminal Background
Must complete Screening Criteria
SEDWICK PROPERTIES PRE- APPLICATION
PURPOSE OF THIS DOCUMENT We offer the following information so that all applicants will have available to them a detailed statement of the rental qualifying policies. Although we have attempted to make this document easy to read and understandable, by its nature as a statement of policy, it includes formal language and legal terms. If you have any questions about our policies or about the information contained in this document, please don’t hesitate to ask for a detailed explanation.
APPLICATION Each adult (18 years or older) to live in the apartment or house must complete a separate application. All persons to live in the apartment must be listed on the application.
Applications are good for 120 days, if you have not come up on the waiting list but are still interested in renting an apartment or house after 120 days, you must contact us and you may be required to re-apply either in part or in full. If you do not contact us, your application will be removed from the waiting list and filed.
WAITING LIST Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. If an applicant applies for a certain complex and there are no other applicants interested in that complex the applicant that applied specifically for that complex would be first in line for that specific complex.
FEES There will be a $10.00 Application Fee and a $35.00 Credit Report, Verification of Information and Reports & Search Fee. The current cost to you for a Criminal Background History and a Sex Offender Search is $20.00.ALL FEES MUST BE PAID WHEN THE APPLICATION IS RETURNED. THE APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNTIL ALL FEES ARE PAID.
PHOTO IDENTIFICATION When the application is returned, each adult (18 years or older) to live in the apartment or house will be required to show a valid photo identification. Acceptable identification includes a driver’s license, passport or a state issued photo identification card. A copy of the photo identification will be made and kept for our files.
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF RESIDENTS PER APARTMENT
- 1 Bedroom up to 2 adults or 1 adult and 1 child
- 2 Bedroom up to 2 adults and 2 children or 1 adult and 3 children
- 3 Bedroom up to 2 adults and 3 children or 1 adult and 4 children
INCOME Total monthly household gross income (before taxes) must be at least three times the amount of the apartment or house rent. You will be required to provide written proof to support all income you claim on the application, that you wish to be considered. We will accept a letter from your employer to include gross and net income and the period of time that you have been employed, federal tax returns, copies of court ordered child support and alimony payments together with sufficient evidence deemed acceptable by the
Property Manager that payments are being made and copies of government checks (i.e., social security, disability, etc) together with documentation to determine the length of time the checks will be received. Other forms of proof of income to be considered must be acceptable to the Property Manager.
JOINT APPLICANT INCOME If an apartment or house is being applied for jointly and is not qualified under one applicant’s income, both applicants would each need to qualify with 70% of the income requirement of at least three times the amount of the apartment rent.
GROSS MONTHLY INCOME / RENT EXAMPLES
· Rent: $350.00 Income Requirement: $1,050.00
· Rent: $400.00 Income Requirement: $1,200.00
· Rent: $475.00 Income Requirement:$1,425.00
· Rent: $500.00 Income Requirement: $1,500.00
· Rent: $575.00 Income Requirement: $1,725.00
· Rent: $1,000.00 Income Requirement: $3,000.00
MAXIUM DEBT / GROSS INCOME Total monthly debt service including estimated utility costs of $125.00 shall not exceed 70% of gross monthly income. Installment loans with more than 2 payments remaining will be calculated in the ratio. A $20.00 minimum payment will be calculated in the ratio for revolving credit (credit cards) with zero balances.
LENGTH OF EMPLOYMENT Applicant(s) shall be at the same job or the same profession for 1 year or more.
FIRST MONTHS RENT AND SECURITY DEPOSIT Will be due when the lease and related documents are signed.
ADDITIONAL APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS AND REASONS FOR DECLINE We look for positive rental, credit and employment verifications and public records information when qualifying an applicant for residency. We conduct criminal background / sex offender searches. We conduct rental references. We verify bank accounts. We run credit reports, and court record searches. We may contact any person, landlord, property owner, property manager, agent and any government agency not listed on the
application but deemed necessary as part of the rental history verification. Based on information found applicants will be declined for the following reasons:
- Slow or past due loan payments
- Delinquent past or present credit obligations with others
- Excess obligations in relation to income
- Income insufficient for amount of rent
- Poor rental history, evictions filed, money due to another landlord. Arrests and/or convictions for items such as drug related activity, sexual offenses, violent behavior or assault to another individual, domestic violence, theft, burglary or stolen property, fraud, weapons charges, active arrest warrants, gang related crimes.
- Falsification of the application.
- Lack of verifiable information.
- Any open bankruptcy.
- History of judgments, collections and/or utility collections. (negative credit history see below*)
*Negative credit history includes but is not limited to:- Any judgment; -More than 2 credit or installment accounts that have been past due for more than 90 days within the past 12 months;- Charged off accounts;-More than 2 accounts that are currently in collection;-Any open unpaid account from a utility, telephone service or cable company; -Any repossession of material or
personal property that is not being repaid; – Any suit pending or not remedied; – Undisclosed debt.
The absence of a credit file does not adversely affect the applicant however you must meet all other criteria listed in this document.
APPLICATIONS AND ALL RELATED DOCUMENTS may be used for the following property owners: Steroben Associates; H. B. Sedwick Jr., Building Supply, Inc.; H. B. Sedwick, Jr.; H. B. Sedwick, III; H. B. Sedwick, IV; Rod Sedwick Property; Rod Sedwick Trust; Sedwick Seven Trust; Steve Sedwick and Stejan Trust. The application and related documents may be used for residential or commercial rental property or space. Please initial __________.
CREDIT REPORTS will be obtained by Steroben Associates for the following property owners: Steroben Associates; H. B. Sedwick Jr., Building Supply, Inc.; H. B. Sedwick, Jr.; H. B.Sedwick, III; H. B. Sedwick, IV; Rod Sedwick Property; Rod Sedwick Trust;
Sedwick Seven Trust; Steve Sedwick and Stejan Trust. Please initial __________.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND / SEX OFFENDER SEARCHES will be obtained by Steroben Associates for the following property owners: Steroben Associates; H. B. Sedwick Jr., Building Supply, Inc.; H. B. Sedwick, Jr.; H. B. Sedwick, III; H. B. Sedwick, IV; Rod Sedwick Property; Rod Sedwick Trust; Sedwick Seven Trust; Steve Sedwick and Stejan Trust.Please initial __________.
PETS We have a no pets policy. Please do not ask.
VHDA APPLICANTS Are not subject to income, employment and credit criteria except for rent payments and utility accounts, but will be subject to all other criteria listed in this document.
DECLINE POLICY If your application is declined due to an unfavorable credit report you may:
- Contact the credit reporting agency at Equifax Credit Information Services, P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0241. Toll Free Number 1-800-685-1111.
- Correct any misinformation as outlined by the credit reporting agency.
- You must furnish Steroben Associates with your corrected credit report.
- Upon receipt of a satisfactory, updated credit report, your application may be considered for the next available apartment.
If your application is declined due to an unfavorable criminal background / sex offender search you may:
- Contact the reporting agency listed on your Statement of Adverse Action.
- Correct any misinformation as outlined by the reporting agency.
- You must furnish Steroben Associates with your corrected criminal background / sex offender search.
- Upon receipt of a satisfactory, updated criminal background / sex offender search, your application may be considered for the next available apartment.
If your application is declined for reasons other than unfavorable credit or criminal history, you may:
- Submit a written explanation appealing your declined application, within 14 days of the decline letter to Property Manager, Steroben Associates, Post Office Box 70, Orange, Virginia 22960.
- A panel will review your application and associated documents and will notify you in writing of the results within 10 business days of the review.