Download Screening Criteria
SEDWICK PROPERTIES SCREENING CRITERIA
PURPOSE OF THIS DOCUMENT – We offer the following information so that all applicants will have available to them a detailed statement of the rental qualifying policies. Although we have attempted to make this document easy to read and understandable, by its nature as a statement of policy, it includes formal language and legal terms. If you have any questions about our policies or about the information contained in this document, please don’t hesitate to ask for a detailed explanation.
APPLICATION – Each adult (18 years or older) to live in the apartment or house must complete a separate application. All persons to live in the apartment must be listed on the application.
Applications are good for 120 days, if you have not come up on the waiting list but are still interested in renting an apartment or house after 120 days, you must contact us and you may be required to re-apply either in part or in full. If you do not contact us, your application will be removed from the waiting list and filed.
WAITING LIST – Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. If an applicant applies for a certain complex and there are no other applicants interested in that complex the applicant that applied specifically for that complex would be first in line for that specific complex.
FEES – The total cost to apply for an apartment or house is $65.00 per applicant. This fee covers the Credit Report, Criminal Background and Sex Offender Search and Administrative Costs to verify employment, income and previous rental history. This fee must be paid when the application is returned. The application will not be processed until the fee is paid.
IDENTIFICATION – When the application is returned, each adult (18 years or older) to live in the apartment or house will be required to show a valid photo identification and social security card or a W2. Acceptable identification includes a driver’s license, passport or a state issued photo identification card. A copy of the photo identification and social security card or W2 will be made and kept for our files.
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF RESIDENTS PER APARTMENT –
- 1 Bedroom – up to 2 adults or 1 adult and 1 child
- 2 Bedroom – up to 2 adults and 2 children or 1 adult and 3 children
- 3 Bedroom – up to 2 adults and 3 children or 1 adult and 4 children
Exceptions to this policy will include: Size of bedrooms and unit; Age of children; Configuration of unit and Other physical limitations of housing such as capacity of septic, sewer or other building systems.
INCOME – Total monthly household gross income (before taxes) must be at least three times the amount of the apartment or house rent. You will be required to provide written proof to support all income you claim on the application, that you wish to be considered. We will accept a letter from your employer to include gross and net income and the period of time that you have been employed, federal tax returns, copies of court ordered child support and alimony payments together with sufficient evidence deemed acceptable by the Property Manager that payments are being made and copies of government checks (i.e., social security, disability, etc…) together with documentation to determine the length of time the checks will be received. Other forms of proof of income to be considered must be acceptable to the Property Manager.
JOINT APPLICANT INCOME – If an apartment or house is being applied for jointly and is not qualified under one applicant’s income, both applicants would each need to qualify with the total income requirement of at least three times the amount of the apartment rent.
GROSS MONTHLY INCOME / RENT EXAMPLES:
- Rent: $550.00 – Income Requirement: $1,650.00
- Rent: $575.00 – Income Requirement: $1,725.00
- Rent: $625.00 – Income Requirement: $1,875.00
- Rent: $675.00 – Income Requirement: $2,025.00
- Rent: $1,000.00 – Income Requirement: $3,000.00
- Rent: $1,200.00 – Income Requirement: $3,600.00
MAXIUM DEBT / GROSS INCOME – Total monthly debt service including estimated utility costs of $150.00 shall not exceed 70% of gross monthly income. Installment loans with more than 3 payments remaining will be calculated in the ratio. A $20.00 minimum payment will be calculated in the ratio for revolving credit (credit cards) with zero balances.
LENGTH OF EMPLOYMENT – Applicant(s) shall be at the same job or the same profession for 1 year or more.
FIRST MONTHS RENT AND SECURITY DEPOSIT – Will be due when the lease and related documents are signed.
ADDITIONAL APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS AND REASONS FOR DECLINE – We look for positive rental, credit and employment verifications and public records information when qualifying an applicant for residency. We conduct criminal background / sex offender searches. We conduct rental references. We run credit reports. We may contact any person, landlord, property owner, property manager, agent and any government agency not listed on the application but deemed necessary as part of the rental history verification. Based on information found applicants may be declined for the following reasons:
- Negative Credit History Includes: Past due or slow loan payments, Any unpaid judgement, collection or charged off account, Any unpaid account from a utility, telephone service or cable company, Undisclosed debt, Any open bankruptcy, Unpaid child support.
- Falsification of the Application.
- Lack of Verifiable Information.
- Income Insufficient for Rental Payment.
- Excess Obligations in Relation to Income.
- Record of Poor Rental History, Eviction, Money Due Another Landlord.
Exceptions will include verified repayment plans for judgements, collections and charged off accounts that have been paid on time for a period of one year and, Satisfactory payment history for one year after bankruptcy discharge date.
All medical collections are exempted, and will not count against you
The absence of a credit file does not adversely affect you however, you must meet all other criteria listed in this document.
- Convictions including Misdemeanors and Felonies.
We will consider the severity of the crime, and the amount of time that has passed since the conviction. Relevant factors include: the circumstances surrounding the criminal conduct; the person’s age at the time of the conduct; and, any evidence of rehabilitation.
APPLICATIONS AND ALL RELATED DOCUMENTS may be used for the following property owners: Steroben Associates LLC; H. B. Sedwick Jr., Building Supply, Inc.; Sedwick LLC; H. B. Sedwick, III; H. B. Sedwick, IV; Rod Sedwick; Stevan Sedwick and Stejan LLC; Ryan Sedwick; Shannon Sedwick; Lesli Sedwick. The application and related documents may be used for residential or commercial rental property or space. Please initial __________.
CREDIT REPORTS will be obtained by Steroben Associates LLC for the following property owners: Steroben Associates LLC; H. B. Sedwick Jr., Building Supply, Inc.; Sedwick LLC; H. B. Sedwick, III; H. B. Sedwick, IV; Rod Sedwick; Stevan Sedwick and Stejan LLC; Ryan Sedwick; Shannon Sedwick; Lesli Sedwick. Please initial __________.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND / SEX OFFENDER SEARCHES will be obtained by Steroben Associates LLC for the following property owners: Steroben Associates LLC; H. B. Sedwick Jr., Building Supply, Inc.; Sedwick LLC; H. B. Sedwick, III; H. B. Sedwick, IV; Rod Sedwick; Stevan Sedwick and Stejan LLC; Ryan Sedwick; Shannon Sedwick; Lesli Sedwick. Please initial __________.
PETS – We have a no pets policy with the exceptions of goldfish and emotional support animals / service animals. Approved documentation of need may be required from a health care professional.
RENTAL ASSISTANCE APPLICANTS – Are not subject to income, employment and credit criteria except for rent payments and utility accounts, but will be subject to all other criteria listed in this document.
DECLINE POLICY – If your application is declined due to an unfavorable credit report you may:
- Contact the credit reporting agency at Equifax Credit Information Services, P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0241. Toll Free Number 1-800-685-1111.
- Correct any misinformation as outlined by the credit reporting agency.
- You must furnish Sedwick Properties with your corrected credit report.
- Upon receipt of a satisfactory, updated credit report, your application may be considered for the next available apartment.
If your application is declined due to an unfavorable criminal background / sex offender search you may:
- Contact the reporting agency at SENTRYLINK, 7500 Greenway Center Drive, Suite 1040. Greenbelt MD 20770. Telephone Number 301-486-0862.
- Correct any misinformation as outlined by the reporting agency.
- You must furnish Sedwick Properties with your corrected criminal background / sex offender search.
- Upon receipt of a satisfactory, updated criminal background / sex offender search, your application may be considered for the next available apartment.
If your application is declined for reasons other than unfavorable credit or criminal history, you may:
- Submit a written explanation appealing your declined application, within 14 days of the decline letter to Property Manager, Sedwick Properties, Post Office Box 70, Orange, Virginia 22960.
- A panel will review your application and associated documents and will notify you in writing of the results within 10 business days of the review.
Fair Housing Statement
At Sedwick Properties we believe that our residents deserve to be treated fairly at all times. As an equal opportunity housing provider, Sedwick Properties provides housing opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, familial status, and elderliness, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
A copy of Sedwick Properties Reasonable Accommodation/Reasonable Modification Policy is available upon request.